With over a billion active users, there’s no better platform in the world right now than Instagram when it comes to showcasing your products in front of your target audience. In recent years, Instagram has added numerous nifty features that can be incredibly helpful for businesses – product tagging is one of them. Several brands have used the feature and made the most of it. As a result, their Instagram shop traffic and revenue have shot up.
If you want to know how you can use the product tagging feature on Instagram to your advantage, you’re at the right place. In this article, we’ll take you through everything you need to know about product tags Instagram and how you can use them to reap the rewards for your business. So, sit back, scroll on, and read on!
What is product tagging on Instagram?
Instagram product tagging refers to the feature that businesses can use to tag their products on their Instagram posts. To use the feature, businesses need to first set up a business account on Instagram. If a user who’s viewing content clicks or taps on the tags (depending on the device used to access Instagram), they redirect users to businesses’ Instagram shops.
This is exclusive for businesses and users in the U.S, and it allows sales to be made from within Instagram and doesn’t require users to visit an external site – a win-win situation for both Instagram and businesses active on the platform.
Businesses outside the U.S. can add their website links to the tags. When users click on these links, they are redirected to the official business websites, where they can complete their purchases.
Instagram product tagging: Why you should consider using the feature
Since Instagram launched the product tagging feature, businesses have taken to it like fish to water, which isn’t surprising when you consider the feature’s following benefits:
- Built-in reminders: If you tag a particular product in an Instagram post, viewers will be able to see a shopping bag icon in the post’s lower-left corner. Even though this shopping bag icon is small and seemingly insignificant, the fact is that it can serve as a shopping reminder to your target audience. Once users click or tap on the icon, it takes them to an additional page where you can showcase different pictures of your products.
- Reduction in barriers to purchase: Most online buyers tend to be impatient people, and they want the convenience of being able to buy their favorite products quickly. In such a scenario, they are likely to skip your products if they experience too many barriers to purchase. This is where Instagram product tagging can come in handy. By reducing barriers to purchase, it offers a seamless shopping experience for Instagram users.
- Gives users the opportunity to start shopping from your bio/highlights: The ‘Shop’ button below your bio/highlights can work wonders in terms of engaging users with high purchase intent levels. Simply by clicking or tapping on the button, users can browse all your posts in which you’ve tagged your products.
- Notify users about promotions and sales: Is there an exclusive offer or a discount on one of your products? You can notify your target audience about it through a shoppable post. Once you publish the post, users can view it and find out if there are any attractive offers. This eliminates the need to create separate Instagram posts to inform your audiences about promotions.
- Engage mobile Instagram users: While Instagram can be accessed from desktops and laptops, the majority of the platform’s users access it on their mobile devices. So, if you want your business to create a positive impression in the minds of those who prefer to shop when they’re on the move, there’s nothing better than Instagram product tagging.
The top tips for making the most of Instagram product tagging
Now that you know what the product tagging feature is all about and all the ways in which it can benefit businesses, it’s time to learn how you can leverage the feature to your advantage. At the end of the day, the feature itself can’t generate results if you don’t use it effectively. It can only deliver desired results when you understand how to use it well. In this section, we’ll take you through a variety of tips to tag products on Instagram like a boss. Putting the following tips into practice can accelerate the growth of your business’s sales and revenue through Instagram:
- Tag products across different types of Instagram posts: The product tagging feature is available across different types of posts on Instagram, which is why it’s important that you mix up your posts. For instance, in regular image posts and in-feed video posts, you have the option of tagging up to 5 products per post. There’s the carousel feature as well, which allows you to add 20 product tags per carousel post. Businesses can also tag products (up to 30) on Instagram Reels posts. Users can look at the tagged products when they tap or click the ‘View Products’ link, which will be present in the caption. You can also tag products across your bio, captions, Stories, IGTV, and live video posts.
- Use descriptive and relevant hashtags: Hashtags play a critical role on Instagram when it comes to making posts discoverable. If you want your product-tagged posts to show up on the ‘Explore’ page, you have to include descriptive hashtags. Apart from making sure that the hashtags you use are descriptive, you should also ensure that they are relevant. Quite simply, more relevant hashtags increase the chances of your product-tagged posts being discovered by your target audience, i.e., the people who are most likely to purchase products from you.
- Combine user-generated content (UGC) with product tagging: User-generated content (UGC) has become incredibly effective for brands to showcase their products and/or services through influencers. On Instagram, people look up to influencers and consider them to be experts in their respective niches. So, if you want your product-tagged posts to do well, you should approach an influencer in your niche and collaborate. The influencer can curate unique content for your feed, which will help you showcase your products to your audience in a way that resonates with your Instagram audience.
- Test, test, test: The same product tagging practices won’t work for every business on Instagram, which is why it’s important to keep experimenting to figure out what works for you and what doesn’t. Instagram offers analytics tools that you can use for assessing data such as sales conversions and click-through rates. Use these insights to improve your product tagging practices, and over time, you can expect results to come your way.
- View product-tagged posts from your personal account: One of the best things to do to ensure the quality of your product-tagged posts is to check them out from your personal account. This will allow you to step into the shoes of your target audience and experience your posts from their point of view. If you’re not satisfied with the type of post you’ve created, go back to your business page and give it another shot. Also, when viewing product-tagged posts from your personal account, make sure that the links that you’ve added redirect users to the right products. Doing this will make sure that there are no mistakes in terms of adding the links.
- Create urgency in the minds of your target audience by including CTAs: The modern-day consumer is reluctant to take action when there’s no encouragement from the brand’s side, and that’s why all your product-tagged posts should include call-to-action (CTA) messages. When incorporating CTA messages, it’s important that you choose messages that create a sense of urgency in the mind of your target audience. This will increase the likelihood of your audience tapping the shopping icon and going ahead with the product purchase.
- Take a leaf out of the books of successful brands in your niche: If you’re new to Instagram and still aren’t sure of how you can effectively use the product tagging feature, don’t worry. You can always learn a thing or two from brands in your niche who have tasted success by using the feature. Go to these brands’ pages and observe how they’ve curated their product-tagged posts. While we don’t recommend mimicking another brand, we definitely advise learning from the best in your niche and applying their practices across your posts.
So, that’s almost it for this article. We sincerely hope that you found it informative and can now use the product tagging feature effectively. Before we leave you, we’d like to tell you about Mr. Insta. Due to the ever-increasing competition between businesses and influencers on Instagram, it’s harder than ever before for new Instagrammers to establish themselves. This is where Mr. Insta can come in and help out new businesses and content creators.
Through Mr. Insta, you can get free Instagram followers and also buy Instagram impressions and reach. So, if Instagram growth is one of the priorities for your business, look no further than Mr. Insta to give your Instagram business profile a boost.